St. Anthony of Padua parish was established in December, 1856 by Franciscan Father Joseph Brunemann, at the mandate of the Most. Rev. John Loughlin, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Brooklyn. During the first fifteen years of its existence the parishioners attended Holy Mass in a wooden structure on India Street. Rev. John Brady, the first pastor of St. Anthony was responsible for obtaining the original property on India Street, the construction of the two story school there, and also for the construction of the much larger church we hold dear today. The present Church on Manhattan Avenue was opened in 1874. Patrick C. Keeley of Brooklyn designed the Gothic Revival church, which is constructed of red brick with white limestone trim, and features a 240-foot spire.
In 1975, St. Alphonsus Church was merged into St. Anthony Church, after which the parish was renamed St. Anthony – St. Alphonsus Catholic Church. In 1982, the Greenpoint Historic District was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Committee. St. Anthony – St. Alphonsus Church is within this district.
Today, the parish has been entrusted to the care of Carmelite Priests in 2011. The present pastor is Rev. Kavungal Davy, CMI. He is assisted by Rev. Jilson George CMI. St. Anthony-St. Alphonsus Parish faces the future with an indomitable spirit of hope. In a world that is filled with so much uncertainty and anxiety, the parish recognizes that trusting in God’s wise and caring providence must be constant. On this basis its plans are to carry on into the future “to witness, to serve and to continue the mission.” The various ministries provided by the parish including religious education helps to deepen the faith of the community.